Municipal License Registration

(Excluding Contractors, Handyman, and Hawker & Peddler Licenses)

Any activity conducted for income is considered to be a business.  In order to conduct business in the municipal limits of the City of Clarksburg, you must obtain a City Municipal Business License.  You can access the application by clicking the downloadable application located at the bottom of this page or contact the Tax & License Department at 304-624-1630. 

There is a flat fee of $20.00 for all business activities with the exception of contractors and those requiring license with the State Alcoholic Beverage Commission.  The term of the license begins on July 1st and ends on June 30th of each fiscal year.  Business and Occupation Tax is paid on a quarterly basis and is calculated at the rate approved for each classification.  Below is information necessary to obtaining licensures within the City of Clarksburg.

 - All applicants must first have a valid West Virginia Business Registration prior to obtaining a license in the City.  The State Tax Department headquarters is located in Charleston, WV and can be reached by phone at 304-558-333 or toll free at 1-800-982-8297.  There is also a regional office located at 200 West Pike Street in Clarksburg and may be reached by phone at 304-627-2109.

- If you will occupy a physical location within the City of Clarksburg, a Certificate of Occupancy has to be obtained before the City license will be issued.  You can download the application from the Finance Forms section or contact the Code Enforcement Office by phone at 304-624-1633.  The fee for the Certificate of Occupancy is $50.00.  If you are doing business out of your home, you will need to contact the Code Enforcement Office to obtain a “home occupancy permit” prior to start of business.  The fee for this is $75.00.