Historical Landmarks & Sites
Some historical points of interest in and around Clarksburg are:
- Indian Mounds located along the road to the city's Veteran Memorial Park, these mounds were probably constructed by the Hopewell culture between A.D. 1 and 1,000. They are thought to be burial mounds.
- Stuck Log cabin - 832 South Chestnut Street and build by Hezekiah Stuck in 1873 from logs salvaged from Criss' blacksmith shop, is the only city's historical log home.
- Plaque at 330 West Main Street marks the birthplace of Stonewall Jackson.
- Historic Jackson Cemetery - East Pike Street, Clarksburg, West Virginia 26301. This cemetery was established on the location of George Jackson’s orchard. John Jackson, father of George was buried here in 1801. In 1808, George Jackson deeded the cemetery for a community burial ground. During the Civil War, soldiers camped within the cemetery grounds. Over the years, the cemetery has been vandalized. In 1999, The Jackson Cemetery Memorial Foundation was formed as a Community Improvement Project spearheaded by The Clarksburg Stonewall Jackson Civic Club in cooperation with the Clarksburg City Government who is responsible for the upkeep of the cemetery. The Civic Club in conjunction with the foundation will be publishing a historical book related to the cemetery. The Jackson Cemetery is rich in historical facts concerning families in the Harrison Co., WV area during the early part of the nineteenth century. Information provided by Jackson Brigade, Inc.
- Stealey-Goff Vance House - 123 West Main Street. Built around 1807 by Jacob Stealey,a tanner.This is probably the oldest extant house in Clarksburg. It was purchased in 1935 by Amy Roberts Vance,Mother of Cyrus R Vance, Secretary of State under President Carter. She continued to live here for 34 years. It is currently the headquarters of the Harrison County Historical Society. Listed individually on the National Register. Displays are set us as if someone is still living in the home and contain articles illustrating the lifestyle of 18th and 18th century inhabitants of the area.
- Lowndes Hill Park - This 58-acres park overlooks the city of Clarksburg and is in the location of the YMCA. Also a favorite of civil war buffs with the former "trenches" still visible around this area. Clarksburg was a depot during the civil war.
- Harrison County Courthouse - on Main Street in Clarksburg has displayed the flagstaff from the U.SS West Virginia which was sunk at Pearl Harbor. A memorial for all of Clarksburg's many immigrants located on the plaza as well as the statue of Stonewall Jackson.
- 300 West Main Street - Clarksburg, West Virginia. Built 1894 by Architect Charles L. Hickman, During the 1960s and 1970s occupied By Community Savings and Loan.
- Gore Hotel, W Pike and South Second Streets - Built 1910-1913- Built by Dr. Truman E Gore and Howard M. Gore, Governor of West Virginia an U.S Secretary of Agriculture.
- Union National Bank - West Main and Third Streets - Built 1912 to 1914, Established 1905 in the Traders Building. Built on the site of the Traders Hotel which was destroyed by fire in 1911. Currently Chase Bank.
- Empire National Bank - West Main and Fourth Streets - Built 1907-One of Clarksburg’s outstanding landmarks - Currently the new MVB Bank
- Robinson Grand Theater - 444 West Pike Street. Built 1912-Thirteenth theater in the U.S to be wired for sound-Gutted by fire in 1939 and restored in the following year
- Waldamore - 400 West Pike Street-Built 1839 -Built by Waldo Potter Goff (father of Nathan Goff, Jr.) Clarksburg Public Library from 1930 to 1974-Now Houses the West Virginia Collection of the Library
- Waldo Hotel, North Fourth and West Pike Streets - Built 1901 to 1904 by Financed by Nathan Goff, Jr., Designed by Harrison Albright