The City Clerk is the main secretary for the Clarksburg Mayor and City Council. Council agendas, minutes and legal advertisements are performed by the City Clerk. During a City election, the City Clerk administers all election issues. Copies of all approved minutes of City Council, as well as City boards, commissions and committees can be found in the City Clerk's office.
Additional functions performed by the City Clerk and/or office include:
- Prepares agendas and minutes for the Board of Zoning Appeals, Building Code Appeals Board, Fire Civil Service Commission, Municipal Building Commission, Fire Prevention Board of Appeals, Parking Authority, Planning and Zoning Commission, Police Civil Service Commission, Traffic Commission and Urban Renewal Authority.
- Maintains an up-to-date index of all ordinances and resolutions and makes all such records available for public inspection.
- Prepares and administers the "Oath of Office" to all individuals required to take such Oath.
- Certifies copies of City ordinances, minutes and other documentation, when necessary.
- Maintains all the City's permanent records.
- Processes all applications for rezoning, abandonment, special exceptions, variances, lot combinations, annexations and abandoned properties.
- City notary for all legal documents.
- Prepares and coordinates all Proclamation presentations in conjunction with the Mayor and Council schedules.
- Implements Police and Fire "eligibility" lists.
- Assists mayor with the Mayor's Youth Council.